Sunday 13 December 2015

I am an Addict....and I'm proud of it

Flipboard has become a gateway and platform for me to expand my knowledge on many things. From epic snow capped mountain ranges I'd like to conquer with my snowboard, to informing me on what colour interior paint will best suit an open plan kitchen this summer, Flipboard is never short of wisdom filled articles, to go along with the simple straight forward informative ones. To get back on topic, the thing of most importance that Flipboard has allowed me, is to read, learn and share infinite amount of  Addiction, Recovery and Mental Health related articles. Not just AOD, Recovery and Mental Health, but all the "other stuff" like emotional growth, inner child and Holistic Living which has not only guided and inspired my own journey from active addiction to recovery, but in fact empowered me with the capabilities to live the life intended for me, a life with purpose. A life where instead of having to use a substance to suppress my emotions, therefore impacting negatively the lives of anyone who dare get close, to now having the emotional intelligence and capabilities to be emotionally supportive of others.

My name is Nathan Beasley, I'm from  Melbourne, Australia. I'm 29 years old. I love cats and snow boarding. I have one sibling(a younger sister) and my parents divorced at the beginning of my teenage years. Boring you yet? Well here's where it gets interesting. Interesting in the way that turns heads, begs question from some, though dumbfounds most. The next thing I'm about to disclose is what separates me from many, yet unites me with others. I AM A DRUG ADDICT, I AM PROUD OF BEING A DRUG ADDICT AND WILL ALWAYS BE AN ADDICT.  Before judging me, I would like to state that I take full responsibility for any of my using, behaviour and actions whilst an active addict.

Many people scoff and turn their noses up when they hear me state that I am proud to be an addict? Why on Earth would someone be proud of using an illegal substance, or in my case substances, that are responsible for inflicting so much pain to so many different walks of life. Not to mention the countless innocent people  we as addicts manage to drag into our storm we so much love dancing with. A Super Storm actually. All very fair questions by the way. In fact, a person who is not an addict, or hasn't been directly or indirectly impacted by an active addict, would understandably find these questions necessary and common sense. Even partners and family of an addict would be in their right to ask such questions. Non addicts simply will never fully understand why I am proud to be an addict, how could they?

And so here lies the reason why I choose to share my personal journey, if not to show the addict still using there's nothing to be embarrassed/ashamed about admitting we have a problem; and if not to instil courage in the addict still using to make the necessary decision to seek help(a lot of addicts spend years at this cross road simply because of the stigma around attending a Rehab Facility); but at very least, by speaking out, I believe by sharing my journey, I'm taking the first steps to help give non addicts a better understanding. Speaking publicly about Addiction by sharing personal stories, experiences and knowledge, I believe, is a great way to start breaking the world wide stigma around Addiction, so more of society have a better understanding, therefore allowing addicts to feel safe, comfortable and free of the fear of being judged, so to out themselves as addicts and make use of the ever growing resources available that can guide them back to their intended path on life's journey.

The only difference between drug addicts/alcoholics and other more "socially accepted" addicts is what fuels the individuals addiction. Myself personally, I was a drug addict and what the industry calls a "poly user". Poly is a prefix meaning "many", so like addiction doesn't discriminate, I didn't discriminate drugs, including Alcohol. A person addicted to alcohol, is an Alcoholic. Many great and successful individuals have succumbed to a drug or alcohol addiction, many more have not. Look at it like this....leaders of countries , politicians and corporate CEO's, a lot of them are addicts. Difference being though is they are extremely dedicated to their work. They work long hours. They've most likely spent years working their way up, furthering qualifications to get to where they are, therefore they fill their addict void with work. Think of great sportspeople, who have to be highly dedicated and sacrifice many things to get to the top of their chosen sport. A lot are addicts, but choose to fill their addict void with their sport, training and etc. Other addicts like myself, for too many different reasons to mention, filled our addict void with a drug or drink.

Upon making the brave decision to enter a rehab, by admitting I have a problem, and taking the first steps back towards my life's intended journey,  I am now armed with the necessary weapons and ammunition to stay drug/alcohol free, and live life on life's terms. Getting clean and sober allows me to now start filling my addict void with more useful stuff, positive stuff. Knowledge that will benefit me in whatever direction my journey takes me.

If you've managed to stick it out and weave through my rabble, I thank you. If only one person feels a little more motivated to change, or if even only one person now has a slightly better understanding of addicts or addiction my choice to share about my experiences humbly and honestly was the right one.

To stray away from the normal "flipping" of others articles in to my Flipboard magazine, theres no time like the present to write and share some of my own material. Included is a video I made whilst an In-Patient at  Bayside Private Rehab Facility. I was in my first week, about 6/7 days clean. Last week got 1 year up! My life today now has purpose. 13 months ago I was a Plumber, living wage to wage and spending all my money on alcohol, drugs and material things. Today, I'm now fulfilling my dream in helping others. I work in a Rehab Facility, I am studying AOD+Mental Health. I have savings, and can still do the things I enjoy most. Surely I'm dreaming..... No wait....

I'm changing my whole life.

Nathan. Beasley

10 comments:

  1. Dear Nathan,

    Your post is roughly six months old, so I hope this message finds you well and still in recovery. I, too, am a proud, recovering polyuser who works tirelessly to break the stigma of what an addict looks like and sounds like. In the United States, we suffering an opioid epidemic which is largely marginalized by anectodal presumptions as opposed to documented and controlled studies on what addiction is and who it can effect. Raising our voices and dismantling contrived ideologies is essential to helping usher in legislation which will cease to condemn and punish addicts of every substance and pave the way for those suffering to receive the desperately needed help they deserve. I wish you well and pray for your continued recovery,

    Sarah Anderson

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don’t know you but I am so proud of your story. I’ve seen many people struggle with addiction, of all kinds, and not get out from under it. It looks like you have not only survived, but thrived as well. I hope you are still continuing your recovery and in a healthy place.

    Jeffery @ New Dawn Treatment Centers

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my first time visit here. From the tons of comments on your articles,I guess I am not only one having all the enjoyment right here! free alcohol rehab centers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Took me time to read all the comments, but I really enjoyed the article. It proved to be Very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commenters here! It’s always nice when you can not only be informed, but also entertained! recovery

    ReplyDelete
  5. This blog has a positive and enthusiastic outcome.
    drug testing

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found your this post while searching for some related information on blog search...Its a good post..keep posting and update the information. grossesse miracle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for this fascinating post, I am happy I observed this website on Google. Not just content, in fact, the whole site is fantastic. destructeur de diabete forum

    ReplyDelete
  8. Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting?I have read a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style. Thanks a million and please keep up the effective work. Royal CBD Full Spectrum Oil

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yet, as a buyer I likewise need to find out as much about an item, administration or industry as conceivable before I get included utilizing the item, showcasing, or simply alluding. With this HEMP CBD I have an individual declaration that it has helped me in a few different ways. where to buy cbd oil in milwaukee

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just wager ya if an individual accessed the ventures of our legislative chiefs they would discover numerous occurrences of medication organization speculations who have incredibly high medication costs on famous required drugs that truly work to improve a people wellbeing. cbd is what

    ReplyDelete